Duggan and Co Solicitors

Call 063 89822

Residential Institutions Redress

The Residential Institutions Redress Board was set up under the Residential Institutions Redress Act 2002. Declan Duggan & Co. are experts in filing and processing claims before the Residential Institutions Redress Board.

The purpose of the Residential Institutions Redress Board is to provide compensation from the Government of Ireland to the victims of child abuse in Industrial Schools Orphanages, Reformatory Schools, Children’s Hospitals, Residential Schools run by Religious Orders as well as children and young adults who were forced to work for these Institutions whilst still under the age of 16.

The child abuse that is compensated includes sexual abuse and/or physical abuse and/or emotional abuse and/or neglect, including abuse which resulted in loss of opportunity in later life.

 The closing date has passed however you may be entitled to bring a LATE APPLICATION and you should contact us immediately for further advice.

 Below are a list of the commonly asked questions regarding applications to the Residential Institutions Redress Board.

1. What is the Residential Institutions Redress Act all about and who is entitled to make a claim?

The Residential Institutions Redress Board is an independent board set up in 2002 to compensate victims of childhood abuse in Residential Institutions, such as orphanages, residential schools, reform schools, children's’ hospitals and special schools.

Abuse is defined in the Residential Institutions Redress Act as “any sexual, physical, emotional abuse or neglect” that causes a child to suffer whilst in residential care. In many cases, people are entitled to claim for a number of types of abuse that they may have suffered whilst in care.

In the case where someone in your family who was abused has died, there is a provision for the family of the deceased to submit a claim. If the deceased died after May 11th, 1999, then they can submit a claim in behalf of that person. Your solicitor will be pleased to advise you with regard to this matter.

2. How do I know if I can claim for abuse that I suffered?

If you have been, as a child, abused in any manner whilst in care, it is likely that you can claim compensation for this abuse. You should consult a Solicitor immediately to see if you are entitled to bring an Application.

3. I was abused as a child many years ago. How can I show that I was abused after so much time has elapsed?

The Redress Board are aware that many people were abused a long time ago, and will accept evidence submitted by a relevant witnesses indicating that abuse took place. Applicants should be aware that the Redress Board will look at other types of abuse and its aftermath, such as depression, anxiety, poor educational prospects and any other relevant consequence of your time in residential care.

4.How can I make a claim before the Board, and how much will it cost?

You should contact a Solicitor who will advise you in relation to the procedure involved. The Redress Board will discharge the fees associated with bringing an Application if the Application is successful. Declan Duggan & Co. Solicitors do not charge any fees to Applicants regarding an Application to the Redress Board.

5. How much will I receive in compensation?

 The amount awarded to each applicant varies considerably. The Board will look at the following factors in deciding how to compensate an individual:

  • The type or types of abuse suffered
  • The duration of the abuse
  • The consequences of the abuse, such as permanent physical or emotional injury, scarring, loss of educational opportunities, as well as loss of career and any other relevant factor.

 Each application is unique and the figures for compensation vary considerably.

6. How long does each application take?

Once all the relevant information is submitted to the Redress Board, all parties will use their best endeavours to process the applications as quickly as possible. In the event that an applicant is seriously ill or over the age of 70, these applications are given priority.

7. I am very ashamed of what happened to me, and I am afraid that everyone will know my business? Do I have to appear in public?

 No. All dealings of the Residential Institutions Redress Board are private and behind closed doors. No one will be able to find out your business, and you will not have to appear in public.

8. I am very ashamed about the abuse that occurred so long ago. I do not think that the Redress Board will believe me.

The fact is that thousands of people have had similar experiences in various institutions. The Redress Board are well aware of all the types of abuse that occurred, and will make every attempt to deal with each application in a sympathetic manner.

9. When should I apply?

The Closing date for Applications has passed however you may be entitled to bring a LATE APPLICATION and you should contact us immediately for further advice.